Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Reality Check #1

January 6, 2015

Just had dinner followed by what seemed like our groups first official team meeting – and reality check.

Here we read the “three elements of service." Andrew (ARP’s director) had us all read them to ourselves and note what stood out the most. He also recommended we journal while here, stay present and notice how we will change come 4, 6, 8 weeks (because we will). We should constantly remind ourselves, and reflect why we are here – this will remind us to stay present. It sounds very cliché, but cliché things are usually true. Staying present is extremely difficult – esp. after a long day of work, esp. when the patients present overwhelming cases, esp. when its about time to head back home, esp. when we will actually have pretty good access to internet, and thus access to home.

I took a few moments to reflect on my intention of service to my community. Community comes in many shapes and forms - family, work/clinic/colleagues, neighborhood and of course this current group of 6 volunteers I just met! From what I see thus far, the Nepalise community seems strong. Back at home, sometimes I feel community is crumbling as people are more submersed in their own world, or to technology. I hope the experience and sense of community I am exposed to here in Nepal will change me, and help me bring that sense back home.

I always envisioned my self leaving home, needing to “get away” so I could “grow up.” I no longer feel this way… I just started working at Alpine Integrated Medicine, a clinic just 5 minutes away from where I grew up, and I love it. It’s been only about 3 months, but I love collaborating with the other practitioners – together we can create the best plan for the patients. I feel this Relief Project will only double that capacity.

The goal is to simply provide great medicine – to help the patient get better. Modality is not as important.


Next: Reality Check #2: Infectious diseases, and safety

1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyy your blog is back! Happy travels - Jack, Ilya and I will be following you via your posts! PS Redmond is a very awesome place to live and work :)

    ReplyDelete