Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Arriving to Kathmandu, Nepal


A mixture of awe, excitement, apprehension, and jetlag overcome me as I gaze at the snowy landscape through the airplane window– and I know it has come time to embark on this long-waited-for adventure
About to land!

30 plus hours later, 2 layovers, a time warp, 1 dinner, and 3 breakfasts later, I and my two travel companions find ourselves in Kathmandu, Nepal! Its 1030am, and we’re ready for breakfast #4.

Of our 60days in Nepal, we will be in Kathmandu (KTM) for just 4 days. Our 4 days here are the only days to be “tourists”, but more importantly to adequately acclimate to the new time zone, altitude, and air quality difference – so that we have energy to work!

Pollution in KTM is rough – worse than China I think, yet the skies maintain blue!

Having just been to Asia a bit over a year ago, I feel immune, or easily able to adapt to the chaos of traffic – as a pedestrian and as a passenger in a taxi… Nepali taxis drive the sketchy small Suzuki’s and as I endure the bumpy ride, I gaze apprehensively at the door that looks as if it may break off any second. At least there are no motorcycles swerving onto and driving along the sidewalk (Chengdu – I’m thinking of you)!


No comments:

Post a Comment