Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2. Embodying being a Primary Care Physician

We are PCPs…I am a Primary Care Physician…keep feeling this block of embodying being a PCP

In the States, we are very aware of our scope of practice, and careful of what we can and cannot do…not to mention I work with NDs, so it is very easy to just refer my patients to them when the need arises.

We are also very aware of differentiating modalities in the States – Western medicine, Chinese medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, massage therapy, etc…

Even within Chinese medicine, acupuncturists can be very bias – with styles like TCM, 5 element, Dr. Tan balance method, essential oils, herbs..

Here in Nepal, there is only medicine. People don’t care what it is, they just want care and medicine; they just want what works.

We, as the practitioners, also must not be bias, and not differentiate, but rather just always think what is best for the patient.

There is a health post nearby that can do basic lab work, and prescribe some basic medications. We work closely with them, refer when needed – but we must tell them exactly what we want done, or what we want prescribed and dosage.

Unfortunately, we also cannot trust those practitioners at the health post, or even the local doctors – we must embed into our minds that they know very little, that we know more than them
(and its true, I just came across a patient with fractured ribs, who was prescribed not only pain meds, but meds for chronic bronchitis...)

“I am a primary care provider. I am a primary care provider…”

It’s week 2. I must stop doubting myself.

I also must not be afraid to be wrong... It is how I will learn.
Ex. diagnosis suprispinatus tendonitits - but I am only moderately confident - so I go back home and study my orthopedics to ensure adequate diagnosis for next visit.

Boy, is this hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment