Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Trust the Process


February 10, 2015

When you first came in, I flipped through you thick chart with apprehension. You are 76 years old and I feel your pain won’t improve.

I don’t want to lead you on, don’t want you to think I can heal your pain – especially since you walk to get here with your cane, and need to stop two times in a walk that I could do in 15 minutes.

You can’t lie down and I cannot thoroughly assess your back. You’ve been to the hospital and the health post with no satisfaction. You’ve tried injections and medications.

I tell you I don’t know if I can help much, yet you continuously come twice a week. Today was the 10th time I saw you. You no longer need to stop and rest, you come with a smile on your face. Though we still speak different languages, I feel we are now communicating with one universal language. We are able to look each other in the eyes; the translator is no longer an obstacle. We no longer need to speak about your pain. I know the pattern. Instead we now get to talk about your land, your farm, animals, your children, your grandchildren, what you enjoy cooking for breakfast, and even professional wrestling…

Healing takes time. Trust the process.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! You are doing great work! Everyone at AIM misses you!

    ReplyDelete